Get a custom-designed mouth guard for your adventures and rigorous plays. The dentists at PoCo Dental Group can create mouth guards out of flexible plastic and mold them to fit the shape of your teeth. This will help protect not only your teeth but also your jaws and gums.
Apart from the sports mouth guards, we can also create custom night guards and splints for you, to prevent bruxism or teeth grinding. Bruxism, if neglected can lead to jaw disorders, headaches, and damaged teeth. Get in touch with us to learn more.
What are the Different Types of Mouth Guards and How to Care for Them?
Stock mouth guards
– this is the least expensive and ready-made option, that offers the least protection. A stock mouth guard is not considered an acceptable device for facial protection and often interferes with speech and breathing.
Mouth-formed mouth guards
– there are two types under this, a shell-liner mouth guard and a thermoplastic mouth guard. This type of mouth guard can provide some degree of protection, but it can be bulky and have a loose fit.
Custom-made mouth guards
– This type of mouth guard, which is made by your dentist, offers the best protection, fit, and comfort level because it is made from a model of your teeth.
Caring for your mouth guard:
- After each use, brush your mouth guard with a toothbrush and cool water
- Keep your mouth guard in a well-ventilated plastic storage box when not in use
- Don’t leave your mouth guard in direct sunlight or a hot car as it’ll melt the mouth guard and alter the fit
- Bring your mouth guard with you when you see your dentist for your regular checkups. You can get an examination and cleaning and also any changes if needed