Straightening crooked teeth is no longer limited to the traditional metal braces of the past. Invisalign is an increasingly popular option for both teens and adults who want a discreet, comfortable, and effective way to straighten their teeth. In this blog post, we’ll explore what Invisalign is and how it compares to traditional braces.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a clear aligner’s brand that use a series of custom-made, virtually invisible trays to gradually shift teeth into their desired position. Each set of aligners need to be worn for about two weeks, and then replaced with the next set in the series. The aligners are made from a BPA-free, thermoplastic material that is comfortable to wear and won’t irritate the inside of your mouth.
Before starting Invisalign treatment, your orthodontist will take digital impressions of your teeth to create a 3D model of your mouth. From there, your orthodontist will map out a customized treatment plan, including the movements that your teeth will need to make in order to achieve the desired final position.
One of the benefits of Invisalign is the aligners are removable, which means you can take them out to eat, brush, and floss. This makes it easier to maintain good oral hygiene during treatment, as you don’t have to worry about getting food stuck in your braces.
Is Invisalign better than braces?
While both Invisalign and traditional braces can effectively straighten teeth, there are some key differences between the two that may make Invisalign a better option for certain people.
- Appearance: One of the major advantages of Invisalign is that the aligners are virtually invisible. This means that you can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing that you’re wearing braces. This can be especially appealing for adults who want to straighten their teeth but don’t want to deal with the stigma of wearing braces.
- Comfort: Invisalign aligners are made from a smooth, flexible material that is comfortable to wear. Unlike traditional braces, there are no brackets or wires to poke or irritate the inside of your mouth. This can make Invisalign a more comfortable option for people who are sensitive to the discomfort that can come with wearing traditional braces.
- Convenience: Because Invisalign aligners are removable, they can be taken out before eating, brushing, and flossing. This makes it easier to maintain good oral hygiene during treatment, as you don’t have to worry about getting food stuck in the braces. Additionally, there are no dietary restrictions with Invisalign, as there are with traditional braces.
- Treatment time: The length of Invisalign treatment will depend on the severity of your case, but on average, treatment takes about 12-18 months. This is generally faster than traditional braces, which can take 18-24 months or longer. Additionally, Invisalign treatment typically requires fewer office visits than traditional braces, which can be more convenient for patients who have busy schedules.
- Effectiveness: Invisalign is an effective way to straighten teeth, but it may not be the best option for everyone. Invisalign works best for mild to moderate cases of misaligned teeth, and may not be effective for more complex cases. Additionally, Invisalign may not be recommended for patients with certain bite issues, such as overbites or underbites.
Ultimately, the decision to choose Invisalign or traditional braces will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
Overall, Invisalign is a great option for many people who want to straighten their teeth discreetly, comfortably, and effectively. It’s worth considering if you’re looking for an alternative to traditional braces. To learn more about Invisalign and whether it’s right for you, schedule a consultation with PoCo Dental Group